Sunday, July 23, 2006

The dawn of a new season




It is late July 2006. As I watched the World Cup final earlier this month it was almost impossible to imagine that it had been 4 years since I sat down with my family in our old English house. I can still remember Rivaldo's step over from Kleberson's pass... and Ronaldo's subsequent exquisite finish past player of the tournament Oliver Kahn to seal Brazil's 5th World Cup.

Four years on, I found myself in the only country on the planet oblivious to the magnitude of the aura that is global football; the USA. OK, I might be a wee bit apprehensive with that statement; major developed countries like Hong Kong and New Zealand are not completely submersed in soccer, and cricket still rules the roost in most parts of India. But considering the circumstances, it still feels as if you are in the twilight zone being in the Midwest when a World Cup is taking place. It was as if the gravity of the culture shock of being a well traveled British citizen, stuck in rural Wisconsin, had hit home like Zidane's infamous headbutt on Marco Matteratzi.

Nonetheless, life goes on, and there is a new football season in England on the horizon. My team, Arsenal, are upon the dawn of a new era as the Gunners enter their new ground, the Emirates Stadium. I will be looking closely at our defensive abilities this season. We had major troubles away from home last season, particularly in Northern England, with the rough em up tactics of North East clubs on our so called "prodigies" who cannot bare to stand one meaty tackle. I think the problems stems from a more scientific, and tactical reason. I believe that our defensive qualities must improve if we are to go to places like Blackburn, Everton, Man Utd... and get the desired results. The loss of Sol Campbell is a body blow for the gunners, and we have yet to sign a major force for our brittle back line from Europe lush transfer market as of yet. Unless this happens, I fear it will be an ongoing struggle for the Gunners, and we will not compete with Chelsea or Man Utd for the top places, it could be another 4th/5th placed finish for my beloved Gunners.

One player to watch out for this season, in my humble opinion, is Aaron Lennon of Tottenham and England. I believe he is one of the best in the world at the moment on the right flank, and he is the man Mclaren should use again Greece on the right flank. He is quick, speedy, has great acceleration, and is gaining experience. Also, towards the end of last season it did seem as if he was gaining a better first touch, and his finishing abilities leave nothing to be desired either. I would love to see Martin Jol use him behind Berbatov (Tottenham's new summer recruit) in a free roll to torment opposition defenses like the way Ryan Giggs sometimes played for Man Utd behind Ruud Van nistlerooy.

I see positive outlooks for Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man Utd. I think Chelsea will get off to a blockbuster start again (winning 10 of their first 13 games) and with that impregnable start to the first third of the season, they will be champions. Mourinho has identified Stanford Bridge as a fortress, which at this present moment in time is indomitable (only Charlton picked up a point at Chelsea last season..... unreal). Man Utd have not made many noises in the transfer market, their prodigy RVN seems destined to leave for either Bayern or Chelsea... and the aging Scholes and Giggs do not seem like the players they were this time 3 or 4 years ago. Liverpool have been the most active in the transfer market, on both fronts, bringing in players like Gonzalez and Bellamy, but letting the likes of Cisse and Hamman leave. Rafa's revolution continues, expect them to be closer to Chelsea and Utd next season in the race for the title; Bellamy is the man who could replace Michael Owen. He has all of Owen's positive attributes and in my honest and humble opinion, on his game, is a better player than Owen. A smart snag by Rafa the Gaffa.

I think What Roeder did at Newcastle last season was nothing short of an utter miracle. For all you long term readers, you will know how low I rate(d) Souey, and his sacking was a blessing without a disguise for the Toon Army as they sealed European football this week with a win in the Uefa Cup. I am tipping them to be more profligate away from home under Roeder, and if they keep their home form going, who knows, we could have an unexpected title charge on our hands from a club that at one point looked doomed for relegation last season.

Speaking of which, I think it is nearly impossible to predict who will go down this year. I am backing Reading and Sheffield United to stay up; Wigan proved last season that you do not need 11 world class individuals to be a force in the league. If Warnock and Coppell apply themselves the way Paul Jewell did last season, do not be surprised if either of those two teams "does a Wigan" so to speak. I do not think Watford have the player or staff experience to stay up, sorry Hornets, I think the torrid Winter schedule of the Premiership will exterminate the sting Watford's survival bid, leaving them to face the drop. Who joins them you ask? Well, I am going to stick my neck out and pick Fulham and Man City. I think both clubs had turbulent seasons last year and neither manager convinced me entirely that they had the know how to handle the situation. It was quite interesting actually, it was the tale of the two opposites. I think Stuart Pearce was far too harsh and decisive after a poor display from his team, and Coleman was way too laid back and Philosophical about his team's plight. City's early season form kept them up, Fulham's home record was their saving grace, but I suspect this season neither of those two clubs will have such a comfortable cushion to fall back on and will fall into the trap door along with newly promoted Watford. Call me crazy but it does seem logical...

I will spare you from the boredom of the mid table mediocrity... that is for a later date. For now, lets just look forward to the new season with anticipation on the back of an "eventful" World Cup.... my radio's dial is already pointed towards "606".... and I can almost hear Greeny's judge mental Irish voice..... it is upon us!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jefferson Futebol Arte said...

hey could you add me to yout links http://jeffersonfutebolarte.blogspot.com I am brazilian and I also have a blog that is about soccer so I am going to add your blog in my blog link.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, this is a Chelsea fan blog! The posts would mostly be the views, opinions and factual statements of a Chelsea fan. Whether you agree or disagree, you’re free to post your comments.

www.bluechampions.wordpress.com

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all!
live chat Good job.....thanks.....Must be a reason to find friends in your area! Try this page....
Bye

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

British Blog Directory. Scottish Blog Directory.